Arché is a laboratory of professional activities aiming directors, producers and other film professionals. It intends to provide tools to the creation of new film projects, as well as to provide moments of reflection for its creation and formation. Arché is born out of the need and responsibility Doclisboa has been experiencing in terms of creating a space of thought and creative development for professionals and independent structures, capable of fostering projects and assuring its identity and quality.
Arché’s key aims are
- To provide a space of deep reflexion on film projects and its different stages of production, contributing to its quality and thus its future career;
- To ensure that the work on the participating projects is free from immediate financial and logistical objectives, while directly focusing in the reflection on the creative process in terms of directing and production;;
- To encourage the creation of collaborative networks between different projects and production structures, allowing the collaboration between independent structures, thus ensuring the identity of the participating projects;;
- To provide a means of contact with international agents of high quality in an atmosphere of an in-depth work;;
- The creation of a market model focused on projects and auteurs, approaching the production process mainly as an authorial project;;
- To contribute to the integration of Portuguese authors and producers in international networks, granting the access to the most important problematics, temathics and terminologies.;
Arché consists of three Workshops, of 4 sessions, and joint meetings – masterclasses, presentations and debates – around professional questions, crucial to the development and visibility of a film today.
Writing and Project Development Workshop
This workshop is intended for projects in the writing stage, aiming at thematic development and reflection upon the strategies to be developed in the film, as well as the creation of a dossier/script and reflection on production structures.
Viewing and Discussion of Works-in-Progress Workshop
This workshop welcomes work-in-progress films – projects that have already been shot, presently in the editing stage, which will be discussed in terms of their final form.
Project Development in Dialogue Workshop
This workshop is intended for projects in writing and editing stage, aiming to establish, through practical exercises, a dialogue between the different moments of creation and production of a film and stimulating the development of the creative process through association and sensorial perception.
Since 2017, Arché awards prizes to projects in different stages of development. Prizes are awarded by a selected Jury.